Saturday, March 15, 2014

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters 3.jpg

With St Patrick's Day looming large, at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week we are celebrating the Eating of the Green, preparing Donna Hay dishes which are green or feature green-hued ingredients.

To be honest, I've never really been one to enter into the spirit of St Patrick's Day, but eating green food ... now that is something I have no trouble getting excited about.  Many of you, I know, are right now enjoying the first flushes of spring and all things gorgeous and green will be bursting onto the market.  In my part of the world, however, it's autumn and green things are becoming a little more scarce, so I was pretty happy to have one more "green fling" before life becomes all about pumpkins, mushrooms and root vegetables.

These pea and quinoa fritters with a tahini dressing, which appeared in the spring issue of Donna Hay magazine, have become one of my favourite dishes over the last few months.   The great thing about these is that with frozen peas they can really be made any time of year.   As a final nod to the disappearing summer, I added some mint to the mixture (not much of it left in the garden now), and also included some feta (because that always reminds me of holidays in the Greek Islands, and so always seems very summery to me).  As you'd expect, these are delicious, hot and crispy, straight out of the pan, but they are just as good the next day, and delicious at room temperature too. 

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters 4.jpg

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters Recipe
Adapted from recipe by Donna Hay
from Issue #71 of Donna Hay Magazine
Serves 2 as a main meal or 4 as an appetiser
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

Fritters:
1/3 cup white quinoa
2/3 cup water
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup rice flour
1 tablespoon tahini
small handful mint leaves
small handful flat-leaf parsley
flaky sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
100g feta, crumbled
olive oil for frying

Tahini dressing:
2 tablespoons tahini
juice of a lemon
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon olive oil
flaky sea salt & freshly ground black pepper

To serve:
baby spinach leaves
blanched snow peas
extra virgin olive oil

Begin by putting quinoa and water in a small saucepan, and set over high heat until it comes to the boil.  Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove pan from the heat, leave the lid in place, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.  Remove quinoa to a medium bowl and set aside to cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until smooth.  As you begin to mix the ingredients together it will look a little as though it is "curdled".  Don't be alarmed, just keep whisking and it will come together in a smooth sauce.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.  Set aside.

Put the peas, tahini, rice flour, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper, and half the quinoa into a food processor and blitz until you have a coarse paste.  Return to the bowl containing the remaining quinoa, add the crumbled feta, and mix until well combined.

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters 1.jpg

Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan set over medium heat.  With wet hands, shape mixture into small fritters, and cook in the hot pan until golden and crisp on both sides.

Minted Pea, Feta & Quinoa Fritters 2.jpg

To serve, arrange baby spinach leaves and snow peas on a serving platter.  Arrange fritters over the top and drizzle with the tahini dressing (if dressing has thickened while it has been standing, thin with a little water until you reach the consistency of runny cream).  Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

If you would like to get to know Donna Hay a little better, and to see all the fabulous dishes my friends have come up with, then do go visit I Heart Cooking Clubs and check out the links.

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

I'll also be sharing this post this week at See Ya In the Gumbo hosted by the lovely Michelle at Ms. enPlace, Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads, and at Foodie Fridays hosted by Designs by Gollam.

See Ya in The Gumbo Badge     Weekend Cooking Badge     Foodie Friday Badge


23 comments:

  1. Yummy those look delicious! Great job :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge participant in St. Patrick's day either but I'm not going to turn down green food. Especially when it looks this good. And especially when it's drizzled with tahini dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking, Sue. And for your sweet comment on my seafood honor. What you said really touched me. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michelle. I know you share my love of green food - especially spinach :-) I'm sure you'd really enjoy this dish.

      Delete
  3. I was just looking at these fritters in the magazine and your version looks even better than Donna's! ;-) I love the addition of the feta and the mint and how you have served them with the baby spinach and snow peas. Perfectly green and delicious! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb - that's very kind. I was very happy with the addition of the feta and mint - changes which I would definitely repeat.

      Delete
  4. These sound so good. As you're getting ready for winter, I'm checking my mint for signs of rebirth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. You know how jealous I am about that, right?!

      Delete
  5. These fritters are so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plate looks so vibrantly green and delicious. It's -13C here today with spring in the distant future so for now, I have to live vicariously through posts featuring mint and peas and other spring-y foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zosia. Gosh, that temp is still pretty "brisk", to say the least, for spring - hope the warmer weather catches up with you soon. Though that of course spells colder weather for me, which I'm not so fussed on!!

      Delete
  7. my kind of green food looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca, and thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate your visits.

      Delete
  8. Sue - This is simply stunning and gorgeously green! I love everything about this dish from the fritters to the salad to the dressing and your addition of feta. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Actually, I know you would absolutely love these little fritters - right up your street - and deliciously healthy too.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous looking fritters! They look really good! I love your addition of the mint! The tahini dressing sounds good and goes perfect with the fritters. This makes a perfect healthy lunch! Great choice for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce. I was very pleased with the addition of the mint, and really mint and peas are just made for each other, aren't they?! You're right they are perfect for lunch. I usually make them for dinner, but always make sure I have a few left over to take to work for lunch the next day.

      Delete
  10. Yes!!! I love quinoa, makes nice stuffing and fritters, and I love all other ingredients :-)

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alessandra. I love quinoa too, though I must admit that I don't use it quite as often as I should. Never thought to use it in a stuffing - great idea.

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much, and thanks for stopping by - I hope you'll visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will come again. The food here looks beyond words can´t wait to make this at home. So excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.