Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rosy Plum Crumbles and Cookbook Sundays # 6

Rosy Plum Crumble 3

I've been loving hosting Cookbook Sundays over the last few weeks.  It's really had me diving into all those cookbooks that I haven't used nearly enough.  Though I seem to be going through a pad of Post-It Notes nearly every second day, tagging all the things I want to make.

High on the list of possibilities for my contribution this week were a pumpkin curry from the Wagamama Cookbook, roasted pork belly with a roasted peach salsa from Nigel Slater's Tender I, and a cherry cheesecake from Nigel Slater's Tender II.  However, when I picked up some plums at the supermarket today, the look and feel of which held such promise, but which turned out on first bite to be less than perfect, I knew that they would have to be cooked in some way to really get the best out of them, and that they would have to be the object of this week's post.

I had several plum recipes bookmarked - pies, tarts, and galettes (mmm, you know that I'm still a bit nervous about making pastry);  cakes (but who wants to make a whole cake for one person);  jams and chutneys (I didn't have a big enough quantity of plums for any of those);  ice cream (would have been a possibility, but in order to get the best results I like to leave my ice cream base to chill overnight, so not good timing for that).  But the recipe which gave me my Goldilocks moment, the one which was just right, was this recipe for Rosy Plum Crumbles from the Marie Claire, Luscious book by Michele Cranston.  These were quick and easy to make from ingredients I had in my pantry, and the great thing I love about crumble is that, with a generous blob of yoghurt, leftovers make great breakfast food.


I adjusted the recipe slightly to suit the quantity of plums that I had.  You could make this in one dish, or in individual serving dishes.  I used these two little vintage, enamel pie dishes I stumbled across recently.  If served with a generous blob of good vanilla ice cream this would be enough for four people, or on its own (with perhaps a drizzle of cream) it would give three generous servings.  I actually had this with some of my home made Christmas mince ice cream which married beautifully with the rosewater infused plums and crunchy, caramelly crumble topping.

Rosy Plum Crumble 1

Rosy Plum Crumbles
Adapted from a recipe by Michele Cranston from
Serves 3-4
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

450g plums (16 oz) plums
45g (1-1/2 oz) caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon rosewater
65g (2-1/4 oz) dark Muscovado sugar
35g (1-1/4 oz) all purpose flour
25 g (1 oz) dessicated coconut
80g (2-3/4 oz) soft butter
whipped cream or yoghurt or vanilla ice cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).

Cut the plums in half, remove the stones, and then cut into slices.  Put the slices into a bowl with the caster sugar and rosewater.  (Note - measure the rosewater carefully and don't be tempted to increase the quantity or you will end up with something that tastes like perfume.)  Mix everything together well until the plums are well coated in the sugar.  Set aside for 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix the Muscovado sugar, flour and coconut together.  Add the butter, and rub the butter in with your fingertips, until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.

Stir the plums again, then put into an ovenproof dish, or individual ovenproof dishes.  Top with the crumble mixture, place dish (or dishes) on a baking tray, and bake for 30 minutes - until the topping is golden and crisp and the fruit juices are bubbling up around the sides.

Rosy Plum Crumble 2

Serve warm with ice cream, cream or yoghurt.

Cookbook Sundays Badge 

Earlier I mentioned Cookbook Sundays.  What is that all about, you are perhaps wondering.  Well, if you're anything like me you have dozens of cookbooks gathering dust on your bookshelves, some of which have never even been cooked from.  Sure I spent hours browsing through them when I first bought them, marking all the recipes I was going to make with little post-it notes, and yet still those books languish in the bookcase and never make it to the kitchen.  There are others from which I have made but one recipe which was such a resounding success that I've made it over and over again, and yet somehow I've never made anything else from that book.  Sound a bit familiar?!

Take comfort - you are not alone, and now Cookbook Sundays is your opportunity to change that.  Every Sunday I'm going to share with you a recipe that I haven't made before from one of my ever expanding collection of cookbooks.  And, because I know that if you have read this far then you are guilty of this too, I'm inviting you to join in with me.  Each week my Cookbook Sundays post will have a linky for you to share something you've cooked from one of your cookbooks.

The rules for joining in are simple:
  1. Your post must state the author and the title of the book your recipe has come from.
  2. Your post must mention Cookbook Sundays and link back to this post.  Including the Cookbook Sundays badge is optional, but always appreciated.
  3. You may submit as many entries as you like, and you may use the same cookbook as many times as you like.  Old posts are also welcome.
  4. Lastly,  remember that what goes around, comes around - one of the reasons you are participating in this is because you want people to read your posts, so do the right thing and go and visit a few of the other participants. 
Now, go and dust off those cookbooks and get cooking!  Use the linky tool at the end of this post to submit your entry/entries - simply scroll down to where it says "You are next ... Click here to enter", and then follow the instructions.  The linky will be open for one week.

Lastly, if you would like to use the Cookbook Sundays badge in your post, simply copy the code in the box beside the badge below and paste it into your post.  Feel free to also use it in your sidebar if you wish.

CookbookSundays

Sweet New Zealand Badge 

I am also sharing this post with Sweet New Zealand, a monthly blog event created by the very lovely Alessandra Zecchini, and which this month is hosted by the equally lovely and incredibly talented Arfi at HomeMadeS. This is an opportunity for all Kiwi bloggers (whether you are living in New Zealand or overseas), as well as for non-Kiwi bloggers living in New Zealand, to connect and share some of those sweet treats from your kitchen.  So, head on over to Arfi's and share something sweet.

18 comments:

  1. Me gustan las ciruelas.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like plums too, but they don't seem to be at their best here just yet - a few more weeks I think.

      Thanks so much for visiting :-)

      Delete
  2. The Rosy Plum Crumbles look great. I vote for pairing it with ice cream! (Maybe with yoghurt for breakfast.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare - you're right - it's pretty hard to beat straight out of the oven with some good ice cream. Though it was very nice this morning for breakfast with some Greek-style yoghurt xo

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I love the sour/sweet flavour of plums. And I really like your baking dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natashya - the little enamel baking dishes were a great find. Thanks for linking up your Peanut Butter Cake Donuts - oh how I would love one of those right now with my morning coffee xo

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue-Just now, I had a chance to link up with Cookbook Sundays, and since I'm making my recipes from my WW cookbook, it's easy for me to share! Love your delicious plum crumble...the only problem for me, is I can't have sugary stuff for a while, but maybe 1 bite! Lovely color, as well:DDD
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard avoiding the sugary stuff, I know - but nice for a little treat now and again. Thanks for linking up - I love rice and bean dishes, and am intrigued by the picadillo in your dish - not something I had heard of before.
      xo

      Delete
  5. Love, love fruit crumbles. I would eat it all day.

    Some day I need to sit on he floor and browse through the 100+ cookbooks that I own.

    Awesome.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fruit crumbles too - especially this time of year when there is such an abundance of berry and stone fruit around to use. Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  6. Such delicious looking little crumbles. They are one of my favorite desserts.

    I am sending another soup your way for Cookbook Sundays. A delicious lentil soup from The Cafe Flora Cookbook. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, your roasted garlic & dijon lentil soup sounds sublime - what a gem of a cookbook. Thanks for linking up xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were given a huge bag of plums and we were tempted to make a crumble but I hogged them all for jam instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum - I will be making jam too as soon as I can get my hands on enough decent plums at the right price - if only I knew someone with a plum tree!

      Delete
  9. I made a plum crumble the other night too - added orange blossom water to mine! And I had some for breakfast the next morning with yoghurt too. Wish I'd had some of your Christmas mince ice cream, though - that sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh - orange blossom water would be delicious with plums too - must try that next time. The "spiciness" of the Xmas mince ice cream definitely worked really well with the plums.
      xo

      Delete
  10. Santa Rosa plums are superb to cook this way, Sue. I also love using Black Dorris-Billington. I shall try cook them with rosewater too one day. Still favour vanilla pods in them though. I would love to have this with heaps of creamy vanilla ice creams, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crumbles, although now theboys have left home I don't make them very often. Pastry is really so easy, you should get over the fear,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.